The History of Fitzroy Caulfield Grantville Rifle Club and the Glen Forbes Rifle Range
The Glen Forbes Rifle Range now known as the Grantville Rifle Range was established on the 12th July 1884.
The range was used to train soldiers for the BOER War, WW1 and WW2. From the late 1940’s the range became redundant only used once a year to keep the range license current.
After the closure of the Williamstown Rifle Range in 1990, the Fitzroy-Brunswick Rifle Club relocated to Glen Forbes Rifle Range, which had been defunct for many years. Bush encroached the range reducing the range to a narrow strip of land only wide enough to accommodate 2 targets (from its previous 5 target range state).


This resulted in major works to rebuild the range and this was done with the support of other rifle clubs such as Lang Lang, Leongatha, Wonthaggi and Caulfield. After many working bees and the use of heavy agriculture equipment the Grantville Rifle Range was formed.
After relocation, the Fitzroy Caulfield Rifle Club was established and only recently renamed to the Fitzroy Caulfield Grantville Rifle Club.
FCGRC membership consists of male and females of all ages and abilities.
FCGRC has a rich history in competition and is known as the best scoped rifle club (F Class) in the state dominating State Teams events over the past 15 years.
FCGRC has also produced male and female Australian Champions and numerous Queens Prize winners.
FCGRC prides itself on being a family friendly club with a focus on developing new shooters. The club play’s a big part in supporting the local community which is evident in the relationships forged with the Bass Coast Specialist – Southern Autistic Schools and the Australian Great War Association.
Today, FCGRC boosts a state of the art 5 target electronic system and excellent facilities including a large under cover area to shoot from on extreme weather days. FCGRC is focused on the development and support of new shooters to the sport by providing regularly skills, ammunition and firearm develop days.
